Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii
|Game||Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii|
|Level type||Final castle|
|Previous level||(8-9) Ironworks Forge|
(8-A) Dragonride Firesea
|Next level||(9-1) Red Lava (?)|
Bowser's Keep (or World 8-) is the final castle and the seventh and final level of Koopa Core in Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii. It's also the final story level of the game, taking place in Bowser's real castle.
Start of level
The stage starts out with items on either side of a red boss door, which leads to the main part of the level. The first part of the level consists of a platform falling down towards the bottom of the keep, occasionally stopping for three sections which contain switches that damage the stone blocks blocking the platform.
Each section has a platform that is blocked by some stone blocks. A large ! switch must be activated to destroy it; there are 3 of these and they will land right on the stone blocks, later to be moved again to under these stone blocks.
The first section has some red blocks and Bowser statues. If Mario stands on any of the red blocks, the statues will breathe fire. This section also contains the first Star Coin. The first required switch is located at the end.
The second section consists of Fish Bones jumping out of the lava. There are also some balance rocks in the level, which if touched, can fall over. The second Star Coin is also found here. The second switch required is found at the end and will lead to the third section.
The third section consists of Hotheads rolling around the platforms. The final Star Coin is also located here as is the third and final switch.
After clearing all three sections, you drop down into a room at the bottom of the keep. The halfway checkpoint is located here. There are also two Question Blocks containing items, with the left containing an Ice Flower and the right box containing a Fire Flower. Entering the large blue boss door will lead you to the boss.
After entering the door, you must navigate through a corridor. Bowser will launch fireballs at you, similar to that in the original New Super Mario Bros. Wii fight. Once you reach Bowser, you must pass under him to hit to switch, but this time, hitting the switch will only make a spike ball fall on Bowser's head. Therefore, you must pass under Bowser 3 times to make him fall off. Afterwards, the timer goes down to 250 seconds.
The final phase of the fight consists of you being in a clown car, while chasing down Bowser's airship. You must avoid asteroids in the air and Bowser's thwomps & hammers. You must also fire cannonballs from your clown car to damage Bowser, and after hitting him 24 times, he will breath a long burst of fire one last time before losing control of his airship, thus defeating Bowser.
The level ends with a cutscene, where Mario ground pounds on a switch which releases Princess Peach from her cage. The credits will then roll afterward, showing every world from the game in reverse order, except for Freezeflame Volcano due to unknown reasons.
- Star Coin 1: This is located in the first section of the main part of the level, and is surrounded by the red blocks. You must jump onto the bowser statue without triggering the Bowser statue's fire to obtain the Star Coin without any damage being taken.
- Star Coin 2: The second Star Coin is located in the second section. It is in midair, and the only way to reach it is by bouncing off the Fire Bro. located between two balance rocks.
- Star Coin 3: The third and final Star Coin is located in the third section. It is under a platform, you must go under the platform and wait until the Hothead is out of the way to get the Star Coin.
- Multiple unused portions of the level are located within the game's code.
- A "beta" version contains an altered version of the third section, whereas instead of containing Hotheads, it contained Stone Blocks, Banzai Bill launchers and several Dry Bones throughout the level.
- In addition, the level originally was not intended to use large switches, but rather Keys. There were 5 rooms instead of just 3. It is also not in one level.
- Another thing of note is the music. The level in both the 5 Keys version and the beta version initially played the normal Castle theme used in the Castle levels. This is possibly a placeholder, as it also plays in the place of "Bowser Bridge Drums".
- This "beta" version of this level is heavily broken, as the cutscenes did not work properly. The switches that are used in the final version would not display the tile destruction sequence, instead crashing the game. Even when skipping around to the first boss fight, falling down the bridge would cause an error screen instead of displaying the proper boss fight. The only way out is to hit the chest to finish the level.
|Koopa Castle||Original song.||Main level|
|Bowser Bridge||None||None||Phase 1 boss fight|
|Captain Bowser||None||None||Phase 2 boss fight|