Therefore, please excuse its informal appearance as it's being worked on.
The House of Stairs
|Game||Newer Super Mario Bros. DS|
|Level type||Ghost House|
|Enemies||Big Splunkins (fight)|
Circling Boo Buddies (fight)
Hammer Bros. (world map)
Mega Splunkins (fight)
|Previous level||(5-3) Snowstorm Ridge|
|Next level||(5-4) Icesmolder Lake|
(5-) World 5- (secret)
The House of Stairs (or World 5-) is the Ghost House and the fifth level of Moonview Glacier in Newer Super Mario Bros. DS. It's a Ghost House focused on switches activating stairs. King Boo is fought for its secret exit.
The House of Stairs is unlocked by completing Snowstorm Ridge. Completing its normal exit will unlock Icesmolder Lake, and completing its secret exit will unlock World 5-. This is the only path toward Lunar Realm.
This level features multiple switches that reveal stairs. Boos are also scattered throughout the level. Red blocks also appear in the level, also activated via switches.
After the checkpoint area, you will need to activate all three switches. Once activating the ? Switch in a hidden block, stairs will appear. If you did not activate all the switches, you will need to enter the door that will lead you back to the top of the area. In the last room, there are some blocks that activate the stairs. After this room, you will enter the room with the goal pole.
- Star Coin 1: In the first room, go up the stairs to the exit door. Instead of going through the door, jump on to the ledge above the door. Press the switch, then go back to the left, as the slope you slid down at the beginning is now a set of stairs that you can climb up to reach the Star Coin.
- Star Coin 2: In the room past the checkpoint, hit the red switch and rush down the stairs. When you reach the base, go left on top of the red blocks to reach the Star Coin.
- Star Coin 3: In the final room before the flagpole, instead of going into the first door you see, ignore it and head into the second door to find the final Star Coin.
To reach this secret exit, you need to first activate the bottom ? Switch. Head up the stairs and press the red ! Switch and then enter the door that was hovering in the air. It then leads to a boss battle against King Boo.
- The boss addition was a very late addition, as the door leading to the secret exit initially only went to the secret flag pole. The removed room still exists in the game code.
- This is the only Ghost House to not include any Balloon Boos.
|Areas||Levels||Snowfield Plateau • Everfrost Hole • Blizzard Bluffs • Icecrack Citadel • Snowstorm Ridge • Precarious Byway • Candelabrum Cavern • The House of Stairs • Icesmolder Lake • Freezeflame Fortress|
|Other||Item House • 1-UP House • Mega House • World 5-|
|Enemies||Enemies||Banzai Bill • Big Dry Bones • Big Splunkin • Bob-omb • Boo • Bullet Bill • Christmas Goomba • Circling Boo Buddies • Dry Bones • Fire Bro • Hammer Bro • Ice Pokey • Koopa Paratroopa • Koopa Troopa • Mega Splunkin • Podoboo • Snow Spike • Splunkin|
|Bosses||Bowser Jr. • King Boo • Snowipokey|